Founded in 1845 by John Bryce, a Baptist minister and Collector of Customs, First Baptist began with nine members in either borrowed or rented quarters. The church eventually grew to a peak of five thousand members and occupies an impressive campus on Ockley Drive. Located originally in what was then a brawling river town, First Baptist has grown with the city of Shreveport, contributing to its civic leadership and influencing its development as it has grown into a regional center.
A history of First Baptist Church, To See and Serve Jesus, was written by Dr. James Carter and is available for purchase. Contact Susie Holton (318-841-8421) for more information.